Prevent LDAP directory from being viewed by unauthenticated users

Hi,

I need to authenticate my LDAP users before allowing them to view data listed on the ldap server. Can this be done without SSL.
I cannot use SASL either since my LDAP's version is not 2.0 or above
Currently I'm trying to write ACls into my slapd.conf..... but i am not able to work out the right syntax.
I have written:
     access to dn=dc=aaa,dc=com
            by anonymous none
Maybe my approach is wrong. There 's another way that i found in the net, that's is to write an ACI while creating the rootdn, but then my rootdn is already created.
Could u pls help me out with my problem

Regds,
Sanjukta