RE: can attribute have no values?

What objectclasses are the entries?
You should check each objectclass definition in the schemas. If the
objectclass defines that attribute as a "must", then it is required and may
_not_ be blank. If the objectclass defines that attribute as a "may", then
it is optional. (Note that objectclasses "inherit" from their SUP.)

For example, the 'country' objectclass requires 'c' and allows 'searchGuide'
and 'description'.

Generally it's my understanding that if you have to fill required attributes
with dummy data, then you might want to consider using a different
objectclass.