1. slapd.conf
-------------
If I use this slapd.conf:

database ldbm
suffix "dc=example,dc=com"
rootdn "cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com"
rootpw no-secret
directory /usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm

I get the error "No objectClass "top" defined in schema". When I include the core.schema, slapd starts up without errors.

include ./schema/core.schema
database ldbm
suffix "dc=example,dc=com"
rootdn "cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com"
rootpw no-secret
directory /usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm

2. ldapsearch
-------------
In my case ldapsearch does not work as written on the Quick Start page.

ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts
results in displaying the help for ldapsearch. No option -x is described in the help as well as the man page.

Therefore: ldapsearch -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts
Result:    namingContexts=dc=example,dc=com

3. ldapadd
----------
In my case ldapadd does not work as written on the Quick Start page.

example.ldif
dn: dc=example,dc=com
objectclass: dcObject
objectclass: organization
o: Example Company
dc: example

dn: cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com
objectclass: organizationalRole
cn: Manager

ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com" -W -f example.ldif
results in displaying the help for ldapadd. No options -x and -W are described in the help as well as the man page.

Therefore: ldapadd -D "cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com" -f example.ldif
Result:    Bind Password:
           adding new entry dc=example,dc=com
           ldap_add_s: Invalid syntax

I haven't had any success in creating and adding contents to a database using ldapadd so far. Also in the OpenLDAP 2.0 Administrator's Guide, there are options used (-x) which are not available in my installation.

Do you know what's wrong here? I had no problems with the installation and make test run all 10 tests without problems. I also can use slapd.conf in the tests directory and modify the database entries. But I cannot create/add my own database.

Thanks in advance for your help (I hope that this is the correct mailing list.)

Regards,
Marc

Dr. Marc Petitmermet                                 IT Support Group
Institute for Polymers (IfP)                         Unix, Linux, www
Universitaetstrasse 6             Wednesday p.m., Thursday and Friday
ETH Zentrum                                    Phone: +41-1-632 31 60
CH-8092 Zuerich                    mailto:petitmermet@ifp.mat.ethz.ch
Switzerland                                    http://www.mat.ethz.ch