ldap password checking

	In current NIS enviroment we're using pwdaemon called from
yppasswd to do various password checking before accepting a new password
for a user.  lppasswd can change a users password atribute in ldap but
doesn't do the password checking that I would like.  I'd like to be able
to setup server side password checking.  Is there any easy way of doing
this?  Was thinking along lines of using a shell backend so when someone
tries to modify the password atrribute it'll call the password checker.
Is that possible?

	Thanks,
		Todd