replication problems

I have set up a master directory and a slave directory running on different machines.  Following the replication section in the administrator's guide I ...

start slapd on the master and slave machines - both start without a problem
update master and check replog file - replication information added to replog file
start slurpd on master - update information in replog is passed to the slave

everything is fine until this point...

update master again - master is updated, but the replog file contains no information and the slave is not updated (slurpd is still running on the master machine).

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem?

Any help is much appreciated

Derek