schema modification

hi,

    this may be a silly one. Anyway...............

I have my requirement satisfied with the existing schema, but if it is modified slightly. For example, by default the mandatory attributes for person is cn and sn. But i need only cn to be mandatory and sn to be allowable ( to make the schema compatible for my application). Is it alright if i modify the schema to my requirement or should i create my own schema again?

I'm greatly confused. Since my application is to go for marketing very soon, i request you to answer as sooon as possible.

Thank You.

Cheers,

A. Gayathri