Re: ldif import problems

CC

--Le mardi 4 septembre 2001 14:31 -0500 Kevin Reck <reck@admin.uwex.edu> =
disait:

> I am trying to import my ldif file.. but the userPassword field keeps
> getting imported wrong.  No matter what I put into the userPassword field
> openLDAP stores it incorrectly.
> I tried
> userPassword: test
>
> and when I do a ldapsearch it comes back as
>
> userPassword:: dGVzdCA=3D
>
> not even close.

That IS normal. And it's close. It's actually the same thing. Note the =
double colon ('::') after the attribute name.

A program that produces LDIF output, such as ldapsearch, can choose to =
either give attribute values raw:

  userPassword: test

or base64-encoded:

  userPassword:: dGVzdCA=3D

The double colon means that it has chosen the encoded form. But in either =
case the data is stored in your LDAP base as you put it, with no encoding.

The encoded form is mandatory when the attribute value is not ascii, or =
contains control characters, or other such cases. Otherwise, as in your =
example, it is optional. Apparently ldapsearch always chooses the encoded =
form for userPassword, presumably just to make that data less readable at a =

quick glance.

----
David Olivier

  Les canards et les pigeons,
  les porcs et les agneaux
  mettent leurs gouttes de sang
  sous les multiplications;
  et les terribles hurlements des vaches =E9trip=E9es
  emplissent de douleur la vall=E9e
  o=F9 l'Hudson s'enivre d'huile.

Federico Garcia Lorca
----