searches fail from all points above suffix (rootDSE)

It seems impossible to start a subtree search at the root. I can not
locate any records at all (other than a practically useless rootDSE
object that has no values other than objectClass:OpenLDAProotDSE) that
are higer in the tree than the subtree specified in the suffix line of
my slapd.conf. For instance:

[root@tuva log]# ldapsearch -b "" -s sub -LLL "(uid=kevinm)" cn
No such object (32)
[root@tuva log]# ldapsearch -b "dc=com" -s sub -LLL "(uid=kevinm)" cn
No such object (32)
[root@tuva log]# ldapsearch -b "dc=kogz,dc=com" -s sub -LLL
"(uid=kevinm)" cn
dn: uid=kevinm,ou=People,dc=corp,dc=kogz,dc=com
cn: Kevin McCarthy

This is not an access issue since the above bind is done as the SLAPD
admin account. I also have the following in my access.conf:

access to dn="^$"
        by * read

Is this a bug, unimplemented feature, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Kevin