multiple slapd instances on one server

hi list,

first: this is all about
  - openldap1.2.11, single threaded
  - on AIX 4.3.3
  - with BerkeleyDB 2.7.7

we're planning to run multiple (4 in this case) slapd instances on a single
server to increase performance. what i'm now thinking about is wether we
really need to copy the database files so we get 4 physically independent
databases, or wether we'll be able to start 4 instances with the same
db-files. (one in rw mode, and 3 readonly..)
may we experience any problems, or loose performance by doing this..?
is it definitely _not_ recommended to do this..?
and finally: is anybody allready doing this..?

daniel
--
Daniel Tiefnig
ServerTechnology / Infonova IT