Authentication failures

Trying to ssh to a box.  The box should be hitting my ldap server for
authentication but I keep getting this in my logfile:

Aug 29 15:43:11 spirit sshd[4247]: Faking authloop for illegal user rharris
from port 34120

I get this before I even enter a password.  I have this at the end of my

# Lets see if we can get pam working
auth    sufficient      /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
account sufficient      /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
password        sufficient      /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

I've modified the /etc/nsswitch.conf to say:

passwd:         compat  LDAP
group:          compat  LDAP
shadow:         compat  LDAP

(also tried lowercase).

I've put my server and DN in /etc/libnss-ldap.conf and /etc/pam_ldap.conf.