ldapmodify versus ldapadd

Hi there,

I'm a little puzzled by the behaviour of ldapmodify versus ldapadd.  AFAIK,
these are the same program, with the name determining which command line
options are used.  For example, ldapadd invokes the -a flag, while ldapmodify
invokes the -r flag.

What puzzles me is how can I do a REPLACE and ADD together.  For example, I
have a set of data, some of which is new and some is old but changed.  The
individual LDIF records are exported from non-LDAP systems, and therefore do
not have individual add/modify/delete commands embedded.  I would be grateful
for any advice on how I can ask OpenLDAP to add records which aren't there, and
modify records which aren't.

If I try ldapadd with -r option, I get the error that the record already exists
(which is true for some of them of course.)  Essentially, I expect that the -r
and -a flags are mutually exclusive -- but the man page syntax doesn't reflect
that.

What I'm afraid I have to do is to delete all the old records first, then add
them all in again.  Surely there's a better way?

Thanks in advance for advice!

*********************************
        Paul Gillingwater
        Managing Director