[no subject]

Dearest List,

Upon attempting to compile OpenLDAP with support for SASL, I have come
across the following error (but first note my config line).

#### the gritty details ####

OS: FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE
OpenLDAPv: 2.0.11
CyrusSASLv: 1.5.24
CyrusSASLconfig_line: env
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/src/BUILD/db-3.3.11/build_unix"
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/src/BUILD/db-3.3.11/build_unix -R/usr/local/lib" CC=cc
./configure --with-dblib=berkeley --enable-login --disable-krb4 --disable-gs
sapi --with-des=/usr/include/openssl --with-rc4=/usr/local/src/BUILD/openssl
-0.9.6b

#### config line commensing ####

env
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3/include -I/usr/local/ssl/include -I/us
r/include/openssl -I/usr/local/include" \
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3/lib -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L/usr/lib -L/
usr/local/lib" \
CC=gcc \
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/openldap \
--enable-spasswd \
--enable-modules \
--enable-rlookups \
--enable-dynamic \
--enable-slurpd \
--enable-wrappers \
# i've tried with and without the 2 lines below.
--with-cyrus-sasl-libraries=/usr/local/lib \
--with-cyrus-sasl-includes=/usr/local/include

#### configure error ####

checking for sasl.h... yes
checking for sasl_client_init in -lsasl... no
configure: error: Could not locate Cyrus SASL

#### ahh yes and the almight config.log ####

warning: libdb-3.3.so, needed by /usr/local/lib/libsasl.so, not found (try
using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/usr/local/lib/libsasl.so: undefined reference to `db_create'

configure: failed program was:
#line 13511 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char sasl_client_init();

int main() {
sasl_client_init()
; return 0; }

#### the plot thickens... ####

I've searched the mail archives, and have come to the conclusion that this a
common problem, with no posted (applicable) answer.  If someone might be so
kind to solve this for me, once and for all, the villagers could rejoice
once again because you the hero saved the day.

Sincerely,
Brendon M. Maragia

"It is not the critic who counts: Not the man who points out how the strong
man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.  The
credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred
by dust and sweat and blood: Who strives valiantly: Who errors, and comes
short again and again: Because there is no effort without error and
shortcoming:  But who does actually strive to do the deeds: Who knows the
great enthusiasms, the great devotions: Who spends himself in a worthy
cause, who at the best knos in the end the triumphs of high achievement and
who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that
his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither
victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt