RE: Installation of OpenLDAP 2.0.11 on RedHat 7.1 >>> NEWBIE WAR NING <<<

Yup,

It isn't a requirement to have sasl, and is probably especially
detrimental if you don't have sasl configuredon your machines.  If you
don't use sasl, be sure you are using some sort of transport encruption,
like ssl/tls though!

Andy