Re: Urgent: Errors encountered during make step.

you might just want to download, compile and install berkeleydb 2.7.7
from sleepycat.com, (available as compressed tar-archive in
their "updates" section..) install it in a non-standard path (e.g.
/usr/local/openldap/berkeley277) and then tell openldap's configure to
use _this_ package..

env CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/openldap/berkeley277/include" \
       LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/openldap/berkeley277/lib" \
    ./configure

doing this, you can continue using bdb3.X for other maybe allready
installed applications..

daniel

I'm quite confused about Berkeley DB myself and I would appreciate it if you would explain the versions. This is the first I have read of using the older Berkeley DB with OpenLDAP 1.2.11.

I have installed OpenLDAP 1.2.11, Berkeley DB 3.2.9, and GDBM 1.8.0 on a RH 7.0 host. My database files are in:

/usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm
NEXTID
dn.gdbm
dn2id.gdbm
id2children.gdbm
id2entry.gdbm
objectclass.gdbm

and it actually does seem to be working. I am able to store/retrieve ldap info.

What I don't understand is why I am getting the .gdbm filetypes? I pointed to the Berkeley directories as pointed out above, but I seem to be pulling in the gdbm library instead of the Berkeley libraries.

Are you saying that if I installed the older 2.x Berkeley that my setup would do better that it is currently?