compiling --with-tls

Hi all,
	I'm having trouble getting the configure script to find my openssl tls
stuff.  I've built (and installed) both openssl-0.9.6 and
cyrus-sasl-1.5.24 and i didn't see any errors.  Here's the tail end of
the response to my:

jaco:/src/openldap-2.0.11# env CPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/ssl/include/
./configure --with-tls --with-cyrus-sasl

checking for sys/un.h... yes
checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
checking for ssl.h... no
configure: error: Could not locate TLS/SSL package

but as you can see from the following, ssl.h is indeed there

jaco:/src/openldap-2.0.11# locate ssl.h

i've also tried using the /src/openssl-0.9.6/include/ dir for my CPFLAGS
and i've also tried using both directories for LDFLAGS in my env as well

any advice would certainly be appreciated