No more entries == Decoding error??

Openldap version 1.2.11

There must be a simple explanation for what I'm seeing, but I can't figure
out what it is.  Hopefully someone can help.

I've done a simple search that returns 3 entries.  Now I'm looping through
the "2nd - n" results with ldap_next_entry().  When I try to retrieve the
4th entry I expected to receive a NULL, because there are no more entries.
I do receive a NULL.

Now the documentation says this means either 1) no more entries or 2) an
error occurred.  So when I check the error code it is LDAP_DECODING_ERROR.
Is this what's normally returned in this case or is something else
happenning?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Nelson