timeout for ldap_unbind()

Newbie question here:

After several days of scouring the newsgroups, LDAP documentation and source
code I'm hoping someone on this distribution will be able to answer my
question.

I've been trying to figure out how to set a client-side timeout for
ldap_unbind().  The session option, LDAP_OPT_TIMELIMIT, seems to only refer
to searches, that is, if you can believe what you read, and is server-side
anyway.

For instance, when using ldap_bind(), you can pass a timeout in the
parameters of ldap_result().  I've looked in the code and  ldap_unbind() and
ldap_unbind_s() are basically, the same function.  Neither returns the LDAP
message id required by ldap_result().

Can this be done?  Can someone point be towards a solution?

Thanks in advance,
Dave Nelson