rootDSE error

I am working with my company to try to setup OpenLDAP as an authentication
tool.  I am very new to LDAP so please forgive me if I am asking basic
questions.

We have installed OpenLDAP 2.0.9 on a Redhat 7.0 box.  The setup seemed to
allow basic functions when it was initally setup (ldapsearch would return
queries on the small database that we had created).  We have been looking
for a front end tool to aid us in the upkeep of the database, and we decided
to try the management tool that comes with IBM's Secureway LDAP
implementation.  I installed the beta of IBM's Secureway package on a
separate machine and have everything working well locally.  However, when I
tried to connect to the OpenLDAP directory I recieved these errors

An error occurred retrieving schema attributes from the server: object does
not exist.

Error: No naming contexts were found in the rootDSE for this server.

Does this mean that I have hosed the OpenLDAP setup?  Or is there a simple
workaround for this?  Thank you in advance for any help!

Hez