How to limit the attribute length?

I try to limit the attribute length in OpenLDAP-2.0.11, ex,
attributetype ( 2.16.840.1.113730.3.1.4
        NAME 'employeeType'
        DESC 'RFC2798: type of employment for a person'
        EQUALITY caseIgnoreMatch
        SUBSTR caseIgnoreSubstringsMatch
        SYNTAX{5} )
From the SYNTAX on the above definition, I let the maximal length of this attribute is 5, however, I still can insert a
entry with this attribute that its string length is greater than 5. Could anyone give me some idea?
ps: I also setup the  "schemacheck on"...
Thank You very much!!
Shih-Chang Wang
Associate Researcher
Internet & Multimedia Application Tech. Lab.
ChungHwa Telecom Laboratories
E-MAIL: purewang@cht.com.tw
TEL: 03-4245340
FAX: 03-4201244