Where do I keep user passwords

I can keep encrypted user passwords either in sasldb, or directly in
LDAP. Which solution is recommended, for only one single location for
All programs requiring authentication will call LDAP (directly/via
PAM). Can OpenLDAP 2.0.11 clients bind with a password in /etc/sasldb
and work correctly? For this, I assume that I will have to recompile
OpenLDAP with SASL support, but that does not matter.

Application --> LDAP --> sasldb

All other user information is in LDAP, except the password.

Devdas Bhagat
"Help Mr. Wizard!"
-- Tennessee Tuxedo