maintaining uniqueness of uid's across subtree's

Hi,
        Here we are trying to use openldap for authentication of users  , . The
schema has been designed in such a way that we have multiple ou's on individiual
ldbm databse( purpose of seperate backend ldbm database is for selective
replication) . I have given below  a portion of slapd.conf. Here the ou 's being
chennai and bombay.

database     ldbm
suffix              "ou=chennai,o=xyz"
rootdn           "cn=Manager,o=xyz"
rootpw           bumbum
directory       /mail/chennai

database     ldbm
suffix              "ou=bombay,o=xyz"
rootdn           "cn=Manager,o=xyz"
rootpw            bumbum
directory        /mail/bombay

database      ldbm
suffix               "o=xyz"
rootdn           "cn=Manager,o=xyz"
rootpw            bumbum
directory        /mail/ldbm

index default pres,eq
index uid,objectClass
cachesize 1000000
dbcachesize 500000000

1. How do we ensure uniqueness  of uid  across all the subtrees( here the
subtree being "ou")????

2. Now consider  there is a particular entry (uid=john) which has been populated
in the ldbm database of ou=chennai . When we give a ldapsearch for that
particular entry with the BASE as "o=xyz" seach is not happening for all the
subtrees.  it is only searching through the base ldbm database  So if a
particular user  is there  in ou=chennai  then search is successfull only if the
base is  ou= chennai , o= xyz.
How do we authenticate a user by giving search  BASE as "o=xyz" ( not specifing
the subtrees ie "ou") ???

Any suggestions as to how we can overcome these problems??

Thanks in advance

Sovan

Satyam Infoway Ltd