Re: Valid chars in salt of passwords

At 03:19 PM 7/4/2001, Michael Ströder wrote:
>What are the valid characters I can use for the salt value of
>{CRYPT}, {SMD5} and {SSHA}? E.g. RFC3112 (authPassword) defines the
>valid chars for authinfo (salt) but RFC2307 (userPassword syntax)
>seems somewhat incomplete on that.

Note that RFC 2307 does not describe {SMD5} or {SSHA}.
The salts for can be any octet sequence.

{CRYPT} uses whatever salt your crypt(3) allows.

The FAQ provides additional information on how to generate
various schemes (including example code and links to various
other documents).
  http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?file=419