Re: successful searches not returning results?

> At 02:12 PM 6/26/2001, W. L. Estes wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am using openldap-2.0.11 and I have some data in the ldap tree which
> >I would like to search. This data has several attributes, one of which
> >I use in the dn.  I can search all the attributes except the one that
> >I am using in the dn. If I perform any search on that attribute with
> >ldapsearch(1), a "successful" search is returned but no results come back.
>
> Likely the filter you provided successfully doesn't actually
> match any entry.
>
> Note that if the value is present only in the DN
> (which OpenLDAP allows), then the filter won't match.

I have the following entry in an ldbm:

dn: uncgfullname="Aaroe,Christian D. (Mr.)", dc=michael, dc=uncg, dc=edu
objectclass: uncgemp
uncgfullname: Aaroe,Christian D. (Mr.)
uncgdep: Building & Trades
uncgoffice: Sink Building
uncgpermanentaddress: 312 Jackson Street Greensboro NC 27403
uncgofficephone: (336) 334-3365
uncgpermanentphone: (336) 272-3101
uncgemail: AAROE@UNCG.EDU

I perform the following search:

wlestes 2-8 ~ $ ldapsearch '(uncgfullname=*a*)'

And get the following answer:

version: 2

#
# filter: (uncgfullname=*a*)