Re: FreeBSD port net/openldap2 syslog bug?

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 05:07:49PM -0500, Chris Dillon wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, dannyman wrote:
>
> > syslog.conf:
> > slapd.*                                         /var/log/slapd
>   ^^^^^ That's not a valid facility.
[...]
> !slapd
> *.*                                               /var/log/slapd.log
>
> And/or:
>
> local4.*                                          /var/log/slapd.log

local4.* is what I settled on, though thanks for the !slapd suggestion.

My concern though is with slapd's described functionality:

       -n service-name
              Specifies the service name for  logging  and  other
              purposes.   Defaults  to basename of argv[0], i.e.:
              "slapd".

       -l syslog-local-user
              Selects the local user of the  syslog(8)  facility.
              Values  can  be  LOCAL0,  LOCAL1,  and so on, up to
              LOCAL7.  The  default  is  LOCAL4.   However,  this
              option  is  only  permitted on systems that support
              local users with the syslog(8) facility.

So, I've got "facility", "service-name", and "syslog-local-user" to deal
with.  It seems to me that "service-name" ought to imply "facility" but
in fact "syslog-local-user" is implying "facility."  Is this as it
should be and I'm just making naive assumptions, or may there be some
confusion between OpenLDAP 2 and FreeBSD syslog facility?

-danny