Authenticating using aliases (Was Re: Alias processing for LDAP compare)

> Last time alias dereferencing behavior for non-search operations
> was discussed in the IETF LDAP WGs, the general consensus was
> that in absence of a (yet to be defined) control indicating
> aliases should be dereferenced, aliases should not be
> dereferenced.  To date, no one has authored such a specification
> and the byrne I-D was expired ages ago.
>
> Kurt

I am looking at the possibility of authenticating individuals using their
aliases. That is why I can look at alias processing in LDAP compare because
LDAP binding is not support in aliases.  Was there any discussion in this
area in the IETF LDAP WGs?

Matthew