Re: absolutely frustrated

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Craig White wrote:
> I have spent far too long trying to set up ldap on my computer and I'm still not
> getting anywhere so I have to ask some basic questions - sorry... yes, I have
> greatly worked thru the Faq-O-matic / man pages / quickstart guides.
>
> slapd.conf at bottom but I don't think that it matters here.
>
> I think that I've finally got it set up and working and when I type...
>
>   ldapsearch -L -b "dc=azapple,dc=com" -W "(objectclass=*)"
>
> system asks...
>
>    Enter LDAP Password:
>
> I simply press enter (typing 'secret' or root password same result)
>
>    ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such attribute

Entirely separate from the progress you've been making by using '-x'
(disabling SASL), I recall that I've seen this particular problem when I
had cut off anonymous access to the root DSE, whose attributes are used to
form the SASL bind request.  I had to set some rather warped access
controls in order to open up read access to anonymous users, before SASL
binds would work.

(Would someone please tell me how to form the name of the root DSE in an
ACL.  How does one express a zero-length DN?)

Make a good day.