Re: absolutely frustrated

On Saturday, June 16, 2001, at 04:39 PM, Craig White wrote:
Quoting Ron Chmara <ron@Opus1.COM>:
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin/quickstart.html

Starting at step 8, your conf file would be as follows::
--------------------------------------
# $OpenLDAP: pkg/ldap/servers/slapd/slapd.conf,v 1.8.8.4
2000/08/26 17:06:18
kurt Exp $
#
include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/redhat/rfc822-MailMember.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/redhat/autofs.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/redhat/kerberosobject.schema
#
access to * by * read
#
pidfile /var/run/slapd.pid
#
database ldbm
suffix          "dc=azapple,dc=com"
directory /var/lib/ldap
rootdn         "cn=Manager,dc=azapple,dc=com"
rootpw       secret

Step 9 (make sure slapd is running, then):
$ ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts

Should return:
dn:
namingContexts: dc=azapple,dc=com

This verifies that your conf file is ready, even if you have
*no* records.

Does this work? (I had to restart the service a few times after installing it).

Step 10, make a file named "azapple.ldif":
dn: dc=azapple,dc=com
objectclass: dcObject
objectclass: organization
o: AZ Apple Consulting
dc: azapple

dn: cn=Manager,dc=azapple,dc=com
objectclass: organizationalRole
cn: Manager

And add it:
ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=azapple,dc=com" -W -f azapple.ldif

Step 11:
ldapsearch -x -b 'dc=azapple,dc=com' '(objectclass=*)

(Which is where you're stuck, right?)
-------------
absolutely stuck.

Did you get back the naming contexts from step 9? I had to staop and start
the server a few times with:
/etc/init.d/ldap restart
and I also tried (and then turned off):
modulepath /usr/sbin/openldap
moduleload back_ldap.la
moduleload back_ldbm.la
to the /etc/openldap/slapd.conf file.

created azapple.ldif per suggestion
then
ldapadd -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=azapple,dc=com" -x -f azapple.ldif
(same result if I use -W instead of -x or if I leave off cn=Manager)
ldapadd: no attributes to change or add (entry="dc=azapple,dc=com objectclass:
dcObject objectclass: organization o: AZ Apple Consulting dc: azapple")

Hm... the error message doesn't include the dn... could it be (and now I'm taking shots in the dark) a problem with line breaks (Mac? DOS? Unix?) in the ldif file? Is /var/lib/ldap/id2entry there? If you shut down slapd, and delete the /var/lib/ldap/* files,
restart slapd, and redo the add, do they get created and/or grow in size? If they do, we might be able to assume that the above is complaining about a repeat entry, and/or the data is being added. But if we can assume that they dont get added, searching for them is moot.

ldapsearch -x -b 'cn=Manager,dc=azapple,dc=com' '(objectclass=*)'

This may or may not, work.... let's try assuming your /etc/ldap.conf file isn't set up, or something in the client is misbehaving and that absolutely everything needs to be entered manually....

ldapsearch -x -v -s sub -b "dc=azapple,dc=com" -h localhost -D 'cn=Manager,dc=azapple,dc=com' -W '(objectclass=*)'

Seems fairly bizarre to me at this point, as well. I set up the same environment (had to download the openldap-servers rpm, *wasn't* on my box for some reason), and I'll send you the exact files I'm using, from a stock RH 7.1 install.

-Ron

--2D426F70|759328624|00101101010000100110111101110000
ron@opus1.com, 520-326-6109, http://www.opus1.com/ron/
The opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily those of myself,
my employers, or any of the other little voices in my head.