FW: AW: referrals (not using ManageDsaIT correctly)

Thanks again for the tips.  I think I didn't state my problem
clearly.

> i think you're mistaking the use of referrals and replication.

I am intending to use both together.  Evidenally I don't
understand how to use both of them together correctly.

My problem is this- any time an LDAP system is constructed one
has to be able to maintain it (add, remove, delete entries).  My
understanding is that all such requests go through the master.
When master and slave have the same contents this is easy.  The
master makes the change and then replicates it down to the
slave.  But what about a distributed system where slaves contain
subtrees?  Shouldn't I tell the master "add these entries" and
the master then replicates them down to the slave (without
putting them on itself), via the referral I provided (isn't that
the only way the master knows where to put the new entries)?

> read up at: http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin/ chapter 9 and
10

I read this several times.  Obviously I'm missing (misreading)
something.  Sorry for being dense.