Re: Alias processing for LDAP compare

At 12:38 PM 6/14/2001, Matthew Ling wrote:

>Hi,
>      After checking the source of the latest OpenLDAP, I have found
>that, for the compare requests, aliases are not dereference. I can see
>that this follows the idea of  "dereference only upon demand" as found
>in the draft rfc "drap-byrne-ldap-alias-00-txt".  Since the compare
>request does not have an alias dereference parameter, there appears to
>be no way of allowing alias dereferencing during compare operations.
>     Apart from following the draft rfc, is there any other reason where
>derefencing of aliases is not implemented for compare operations?  I can
>see implementating a server parameter that controls the dereferencing
>behavior of alias during compare operations.

Last time alias dereferencing behavior for non-search operations
was discussed in the IETF LDAP WGs, the general consensus was
that in absence of a (yet to be defined) control indicating
aliases should be dereferenced, aliases should not be
dereferenced.  To date, no one has authored such a specification
and the byrne I-D was expired ages ago.

Kurt