preferred logging methods

I'm wondering what everyone does for logging. Both:

1. For in-depth debugging, esp for connection debugging
2. For day-to-day monitoring after everything is working properly

Also, I'm having some trouble getting any logging to happen right now.
I'm using an rpm install (openldap-2.0.7-14, Linux RH 7.1), so I didn't
have the option of compiling with "--enable-debug", but the
administrator's guide seems to indicate that levels 256 and 512 should
always work.  I've got "loglevel 256" in my slapd.conf, but nothing shows up
in the syslog.

Also, does anyone know if you can log to a particular file?

--
Steve Schultze - sjs@gospelcom.net