AW: replication questions

right. you'll have to bind to the returned ldap url (your master ldapserver,
i hope..) your self. you will _not_ be "redirected" automatically.. (when
automatically following referrals, LDAP performs an anonymous bind, you'll
have explicitly rebind to your master)

> 	-changes directly made to the slave but not to the master

wrong slave config.

> 	-changes disallowed

uhm.. :o) obviously again something wrong, i'd say..

> I am confused about several points:
>
> -updatedn should be different from rootdn (right?) but if so how
> do I specify a password for it (updatepw in the slaves
> slapd.conf causes an error when I try to start it up).  Right
> now I've been using the rootdn (which for simplicity is the same
> on slave and master...)

you'll have to store the updatedn entry in both master and slave db. specify
'userpassword' attribute to authenticate.

> -I've been playing with "readonly" in the slave's slapd.conf
> (some messages in this list indicate I shouldn't be doing this-
> is that correct?)

that's not the way, right.

> -If I make an ldapmodify request to the client shouldn't it
> automatically spit back "I don't know how to do that but I know
> someone who does (the master)" and then the ldapmodify reissue
> the command to the master who then updates itself and the
> slave(s)? Do I need to specify -C (I did try this a few times,
> and it didn't work either), for ldapmodify to "chase" the
> referral?

hmm, are not sure about ldapmodify, but i think, you'll have to check the
server's response, and relaunch ldapmodify with the correct host flag.

> -The adminstrator's guide gives how to stop and start slapd but
> not how to stop slurpd.  Should I just 'ps -ef | grep slurpd'
> and then 'kill -INT <parent slurpd process>

that's what i do.. :o)

> -I've been looking for a much expanded version of the
> adminstrator's guide with no luck.

read up in the lists archives, mainly this one (openldap-software) was
_very_ helpfull for me all the time..

daniel
Tiefnig Daniel
Server-Technology