Re: why is adding records slow?

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Ricky Charlet wrote:
> 	Thanks for your response, Gabor. Yes, I have misjudged the appropriate
> tool for my job. I will have to find something other than LDAP. But on
> my way out the door, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me where
> that computing time is being spent during ldapadds. I'm curious you see.

I too have trouble believing that network delays and protocol processing
are taking the bulk of that 0.77sec/transaction, but we need evidence.
You're free to build the package with profiling enabled and find out for
yourself where the time is going, and if you would publish the results I'm
sure we'd all appreciate knowing where the hot spots are.

For a quick-n-dirty estimate, you could just run your load job again
(after recreating the empty DIB!) while monitoring the server with 'top'
or whatever is equivalent, seeing whether the machine is CPU-bound or
I/O-bound, and whether there is free memory available.  That will give you
a *very* rough idea of whether the time is going to the protocol, the
backing store, or an underconfigured server.

Make a good day.