What kind of hash do I need for solaris 2.6?

Hello,

I have spent quite some time banging about on the mailing lists as well as searches on google, and dont seem to see anything explaining this, so I am gonna try here.  I have openldap 2.0.11 running on a solaris 2.6 machine, and nss_ldap and pam_ldap are both installed, I am having two issues.  one is relating to the password being rejected.  I use the program slappasswd to generate a passwd w. the
-h {crypt} option since I thing solaris uses crypt by default.  then I add the entry to the ldbm for slapd and try to authenticat to it and it doesn't work: i.e. heres a typical entry:

bolero console login: mickey
Password:
LDAP Password:
Jun  7 16:04:33 bolero login: pam_ldap: error trying to bind as user "cn=Mickey
Mouse,ou=person,dc=company,dc=com" (Invalid credentials)

I have tried many ways to get this to work and cant... this error leads me to believe that pam_ldap is in fact contacting the slapd and getting the correct info from the "cn=Mickey Mouse,ou=person,dc=company,dc=com" information...

I need to get this figured out soon, but am unsure how to get a "good" password into the userPassword: field in the db.  the second issue I have is the nss_ldap module seems to not quite be working correctly.  I have entered into /etc/nsswitch.conf file

passwd: files ldap

and when I do the commmand passwd I get this error
# passwd
passwd:  Changing password for pdavis
Supported configurations for passwd management are as follows:
    passwd: files
    passwd: files nis
    passwd: files nisplus
    passwd: compat
    passwd: compat AND
    passwd_compat: nisplus
Please check your /etc/nsswitch.conf file
Permission denied

Is the version of nss not compatible in solaris 2.6?  or am I needing to tweak some other file?

Any ideas would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks

Phil
phil at daviszone dot org