Build fails on Darwin

On MacOS X (10.0.3 4P13) on my 250MHz Wallstreet, I get this when trying to build OpenLDAP 2.0.11:

./configure --without-threads
make depend
make
cc -dynamiclib -undefined suppress -o .libs/libldap_r.dylib threads.lo rdwr.lo tpool.lo thr_posix.lo thr_cthreads.lo thr_thr.lo thr_lwp.lo thr_nt.lo thr_pth.lo thr_stub.lo extended.lo bind.lo controls.lo open.lo result.lo error.lo compare.lo search.lo modify.lo add.lo modrdn.lo delete.lo abandon.lo ufn.lo cache.lo cyrus.lo getfilter.lo sasl.lo sbind.lo kbind.lo unbind.lo friendly.lo free.lo disptmpl.lo srchpref.lo dsparse.lo tmplout.lo sort.lo getdn.lo getentry.lo getattr.lo getvalues.lo addentry.lo request.lo os-ip.lo url.lo sortctrl.lo vlvctrl.lo init.lo options.lo print.lo string.lo util-int.lo schema.lo charray.lo tls.lo dn.lo os-local.lo dnssrv.lo utf-8.lo version.lo -L/Users/jxh/Documents/Downloads/openldap-2.0.11/libraries -lc
ld: common symbols not allowed with MH_DYLIB output format
util-int.lo definition of common _ldap_int_resolv_mutex (size 4)
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[2]: *** [libldap_r.la] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-common] Error 1
make: *** [all-common] Error 1

I'm only trying --without-threads because otherwise configure won't even finish:

checking for pthread_create in default libraries... no  [!?! -jxh]
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads -lmach -lexc... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads -lexc... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads... no
configure: error: could not link with POSIX Threads

There was some traffic in the openldap-devel archive from a year or so ago that talked about the check for pthread_create failing, but didn't quite show a resolution.

That's all with configure as shipped, built from autoconf version 2.13.1. If I first run the autoconf that comes with OS X, it reports its version as just 2.13, and doesn't do any better. Just thought I'd check.

And if I run my poor, old 250MHz Wallstreet at max CPU for very long (which configure tends to do) with the 512MB of RAM I stuffed in it last week, its little brain overheats and things start getting even weirder. I've been fanning the keyboard with an envelope. :-) *sigh* That TiG4 is looking pretty good tonight, purely from a heat-transfer standpoint.

I'm going to bed. Can anyone tell me the fix for this, for when I'm ready to try again? Thanks.