ldap auth

Has anyone got these two to work together?

I have followed every single document out there, but I
haven't any luck
getting it to work. I am trying to rid my network of nis and
move to a
central ldap solution, where all the users get there
/etc/passwd,
/etc/groups......from ldap.

On my client, I simply do "ldapsearch" and it returns
everything OK. But
when I try to login I get a syslog entry:

    pam_ldap: ldap_simple_bind Can't contact LDAP server

Can someone please shed some light? I'm using rh62 but I'm
not using the
rpms, so I can't use authconfig.

Thanks,
Andrew Crum

I know I *should* be asking this in the pam_ldap mailing
lists, but there is
a LOT more support in this group.