Access problem via Netscape from Win98

I still have not been able to access the LDAP server from my Win98
clients running Netscape 4.7. I have checked all the networking and am
fairly certain the problem is not there. The problem must be in my
set-up of slapd. Unfortunately I am such a newbie I don't have a feel
for where the problem may be.

Below are my slapd.conf and the ldif file used to build the database.
ldapsearch does seem to function correctly from the Linux box running
slapd.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the slapd.conf file

#---- slapd.conf -------
include  /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
schemacheck off

pidfile  /usr/local/var/slapd.pid
argsfile /usr/local/var/slapd.args

database ldbm
suffix  "dc=perfectproof,dc=com"
rootdn  "cn=manager,dc=perfectproof,dc=com"
rootpw  secret
directory /usr/local/var/openldap-ldbm
# ---------------------------------------

Here is the ldif file used to build databases:

#----- start.ldif --------
dn: dc=perfectproof,dc=com
objectclass: top
objectclass: dcObject