Re: change in behavior from 1.2.x to 2.x (was "Re: Schemacheck")

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

> Jason Crickmer wrote:
>
> > Isn't this a pretty substantial change from the 1.2 releases?  With my
> > current level of knowledge of slapd, this 'feature' alone will prevent
> > us from upgrading from 1.2.9 to 2.0.7.  Is there anything that can be
> > done at the compilation level (e.g., set a flag, apply a patch,
> > etc...) to get around this issue?
>
> Consider that setting "schemacheck" to "off" was strongly
> discouraged also in OpenLDAP 1.2.X

Regarding this topic:

I was extremly suprised to find that on my SuSE Linux System when going
from 7.0 to 7.1, LDAP was updated from 1.x to 2.x without warning and that
*nothing* was working anymore. It was impossible to get any clues about
the changes from 1.x to 2.x from www.openldap.org. It took me many days of
work to find out that half of the replication software I had developed for
1.x is now useless, and I am already busy for more than a week to fix
this.

Well OK, for someone who is deeply into LDAP this may all be trivial and
to be expected, but for occasional users (oocasional in the sense that
they are not following the development of OpenLDAP very closely) I would
have liked some more documentation and warnings on www.openldap.org on
this very significant change.

Goetz