simple vs sasl

I recompiled openldap after installing the sasl libraries.  Now when I
do an ldapadd, it fails with "ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such
object" unless I force it to do simple authentication with -x.  I didn't
see any method of defaulting to simple over sasl in the slapd.conf
manpage other than disabling sasl.  Is there a method of setting
precedence?  (I don't think this is interfacing with nsswitch yet, but
correct me if I'm wrong.)

I have to do the same force to simple authentication with ldappasswd as
well.  Comments, referrals to URL's, chapters in "Understanding
and Deploying LDAP Directory Services", etc, all are welcome.
Blue skies...		Todd
| Get a bigger hammer!   |  I vowed revenge on the soul           |
| http://www.mrball.net  |  of Bingbong.                          |
| http://faq.mrball.net  |        Doug Glanville on espn.go.com   |