could not link with POSIX Threads

I could not link with POSIX Threads for some reason... with 2.0.8 and 2.0.9
but i ran the same configure with 2.0.7 and that works...
this is a rh 7 system with kernel 2.4.3

here is the message when I run configure:
checking for _beginthread... no
checking for pthread.h... yes
checking POSIX thread version... final
checking for LinuxThreads pthread.h... yes
checking for GNU Pth pthread.h... no
checking for sched.h... yes
checking for pthread_create in default libraries... no
checking for pthread link with -kthread... no
checking for pthread link with -pthread... no
checking for pthread link with -pthreads... no
checking for pthread link with -mthreads... no
checking for pthread link with -thread... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread -lmach -lexc -lc_r... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread -lmach -lexc... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread -Wl,-woff,85... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthread... no
checking for pthread link with -lc_r... no
checking for pthread link with -threads... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads -lmach -lexc -lc_r... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads -lmach -lexc... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads -lexc... no
checking for pthread link with -lpthreads... no
configure: error: could not link with POSIX Threads