Re: AW: ldapsearch return strings

Thank you for that detailed answer !

The clue with the R/O replica is maybe a choise.

In my case I have a bunch of 8 OpenLDAP v2 Servers ( 1 Master 7 Replicas )
and ollowing Produtcs accesses these servers:

.) Sun SIMS 3.x
.) CS&T Calender Server
.) Samba
.) Sendmail
.) Netscape Communicator Addressbook

In order to have a homogeneous environment/schema files  I have  2 choices now:

1.) Switch  to Netscape's LDAPv3 Dir. Server

2.) Modify the Source
	-> Can you point me to the right direction in the Source Code?

Thank you

Martin

1.)
On Wed, 9 May 2001, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

> At 12:31 PM 5/9/01, Martin Hofbauer wrote:
> >Question to the OpenLDAP developers: Why have you decided to do it different to Netscape and Sun's products (RFC ? ,... ) ?
>
> I think the more appropriate question would be why would you
> expect an implementation to identify a standard track attribute
> type by any other than its standard track name.
>
> I note that I did not purposely implement the feature
> differently than any particular vendor, I choose to implement
> the protocol as described in the LDAPv3 technical specification.
> In regards to this particular feature, I choose not return
> standard track attribute type by non-standard track names
> as I felt (and continue to feel) that this is most consistent
> with the specification and "be liberal in what you accept,
> but be strict in what you produce" principle.
>
> I would suspect you'll find implementations that do not
> recognize standard track attributes by any other than their
> standard track names.
>
> I note that if you want to provide one set of names to one
> family of clients and another set of names to another family
> of clients, create a read-only replica and than alter that
> replica's schema so that the names returned to its clients
> will be returned as you desire.
>
> Kurt

Martin Hofbauer                                       IT-Consulting
phone : +43 (1) 60 126-34                   Bacher Systems EDV GmbH
fax   : +43 (1) 60 126-4                         Wienerbergstr. 11B
e-mail: mh@bacher.at                         A-1101 Vienna, Austria