ldapsearch with multiple databases

I have two databases configured as follows:

database        ldbm
suffix          "vm01=2,vm41=0,dc=mail"
directory       /home/ldap/routing

database        ldbm
suffix          "vm01=3,vm41=0,dc=mail"
directory       /home/ldap/login

I have some entries in /home/ldap/routing.
If I perform an ldapsearch with a base of "vm01=2,vm41=0,dc=mail", then
I can find the entries that reside in /home/ldap/routing with no
problems.  However, if I perform the same ldapsearch with a base of
"vm41=0,dc=mail", then no entries are returned.

Since the base suffix "vm41=0,dc=mail" is common to both databases, I am
wondering if openldap is able to search across databases.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.