MacOS X Build

Hi,

I wonder if anyone on this list can help with a build problem. I am finding that the OpenLDAP configure script does not find the Cyrus SASL or OpenSSL libraries that I previously built and installed, and I can't get it to produce a Makefile that isn't completely empty.

I'm running MacOS X, and expect a few problems, but this seems pretty strange. I've installed and built the latest version of GNU sed, but this has no bearing on the problem. Copying the Apple supplied config.sub and config.guess files from /usr/libexec into the OpenLDAP source directory has made no difference.

I suspect I need to mess around with compiler and preprocessor flags, building static libraries only. There seem to be issues building dynamic libraries with a lot of standard Unix software on MacOS X due to various Apple quirks, but I don't understand why the configure script is not even generating a makefile at present.

I'm not subscribed to the list, so if anyone has any suggestions, can you make sure my address is copied on the mail!

Cheers,

- Matt

The output from configure looks like this:

checking for getopt... yes
checking for tempnam... yes
checking declaration of sys_errlist... yes
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating doc/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating doc/man/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating doc/man/man1/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating doc/man/man3/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating doc/man/man5/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating doc/man/man8/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating clients/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating clients/finger/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating clients/fax500/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating clients/gopher/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating clients/mail500/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating clients/rcpt500/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating clients/ud/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating clients/maildap/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating clients/tools/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating include/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating libraries/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating libraries/libavl/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating libraries/liblber/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating libraries/libldap/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating libraries/libldap_r/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating libraries/libldbm/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating libraries/libldif/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating libraries/liblunicode/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating libraries/liblutil/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating servers/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating servers/slapd/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating servers/slapd/back-dnssrv/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating servers/slapd/back-ldap/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating servers/slapd/back-ldbm/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating servers/slapd/back-passwd/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating servers/slapd/back-shell/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating servers/slapd/back-sql/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating servers/slapd/shell-backends/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating servers/slapd/tools/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating servers/slurpd/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating tests/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating tests/progs/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating contrib/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating contrib/saucer/Makefile
sed: file conftest.s1 line 50: Unterminated `s' command
creating include/portable.h
creating include/ldap_features.h
creating include/lber_types.h
Please "make depend" to build dependencies
[localhost:matt/Unix/openldap-2.0.7] root# make depend
make: *** No rule to make target `depend'.  Stop.
[localhost:matt/Unix/openldap-2.0.7] root# ls -al Makefile
-rw-r--r--  1 root  2000  0 Apr 29 22:32 Makefile

--

Matthew Watkins
Technical Consultant

Knowware (UK) Ltd