"configure: error: Could not locate TLS/SSL package"

MOZILLA_CLIENT=1=
NO_MDUPDATE=1=
MOZ_LDAP_SDK=1=
CC=gcc
CPPFLAGS=-I/export/home/regrgk/openssl/openssl-0.9.6/ssl
LDFLAGS=-L/export/home/regrgk/openssl/openssl-0.9.6

AFAIK, I did successfully build OpenSSL in the above directories. At least, things like ssl.h show up in the "ssl" directory, and there are libraries in the "openssl-0.9.6" directory given above.

However, when I run configure as follows:

configure --silent --without-threads --disable-slapd  --without-kerberos
 --with-tls --without-cyrus-sasl

I get the error message which is my subject. The faq "How do I use TLS/SSL?" page specifically tells me to do that which I am doing, but...

Ideas/comments? Thanks.
Everybody, at one time or another, seems to want to boss other people around. Prescriptivism is a fact of life. So are intestinal gas and rap music, but none of them should be let out in public. -- Bill Bonner

Geoffrey Kidd <sehlat@uclink4.berkeley.edu>