Re: Problem compiling back-sql for OpenLDAP 2.0.7

Hello Dan!

> Firstly, I wish to use back-sql on a small network (less than 10
> connections) to provide an LDAP connectivity for MS Outlook users to a
> contacts database that is currently being stored in an SQL database.  The
DB
> needs to stay in SQL as our fax client (WHFC - a Windows client for
Hylafax)
> can only use ODBC lookups to pull out contact fax numbers.  Messy, I know,
> but necessary :)

well, that is where back-sql should go ;)

> Now, here are the steps I've taken so far, and I was wondering what's
going
> wrong here:

looking through information you provided, I can see only the following:

> 4. Set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/local/lib, as this is where libiodbc.a is

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a path for searching dynamic libraries (.so), for .a use
LIBS or whatever variable your linker expects (see FAQs on building slapd)

> 5. From the openldap-2.0.7 directory, ran ./configure --enable-sql
>
> I get this error message:
>
> checking for SQLDriverConnect in -liodbc... no
> checking for SQLDriverConnect in -lodbc... no
> configure: error: could not locate suitable ODBC library
>
> I've checked that the library is there and that the function is defined:
>
> > nm /usr/local/lib/libiodbc.a | grep SQLDriverConnect
> 00001020 T SQLDriverConnect
>
> Now I'm stuck and don't know what to do.  Can you help me please?

the problem seems to be rather simple - something with build environment.
if you still have no luck - try consulting a small how-to-install by Emile
Heitor, which I forwarded to the list not so long ago. along with
step-by-step instructions, it suggests another ODBC package, which is better
IMHO anyway :)

WBW, Dmitry