server side chasing of referrals #2

I posted a message last October about whether anyone had done any work on
providing server side chasing of referrals in OpenLDAP.  I received a few

Before I start digging into the code myself, has anyone worked on this
feature (as an official or unofficial patch)?

Basically, I want to glue together multiple databases on a server without
returning references to the client.  It seems appropriate to use server side
chasing, as the sole purpose for splitting the databases was for performance

Thanks in advance,