What is needed for a valid LDAP bind?

I've been having an argument with a vendor for many months over their
supposed LDAP support.  They claim they are following the RFC
standards.  However, I can't get it to work with OpenLDAP or Netscape
Directory Server.  When I type in a username (test) and a password for
that entry, I get the following line in the access log for Netscape
Directory Server (or a similar line when running OpenLDAP in a verbose
mode).

[27/Mar/2001:15:40:50 -0500] conn=48 op=0 BIND dn="uid=test" method=128
version=2

The DN of the entry is uid=test,o=city.bloomington.in.us.

Now it seems to me that this will always be doomed to failure on any
LDAP server because it is not the full DN.  The company has only tested
it with Microsoft Exchange, which I'm not familiar with.

The authentication screen only asks for the following:
  LDAP Server: I gave the IP
  Port Number: 389
  Search Base: o=city.bloomington.in.us
  Name Field: cn
  E-Mail Field: mail
  User ID Field: uid

I'm ready to get rid of the product, but as I'm not terribly familiar
with all the details of the RFC, I thought I'd ask here.  Any help or
suggestions would be very appreciated.  The support staff of the vendor
are idiots and don't seem to know much of anything about LDAP.

--
Dave Brodin
Systems Engineering Manager