Re: following referrals by proxy produced error

Since I use the OpenLDAP 2.0.7 as proxy, no referrals will be returned to
client. The proxy just follows the referrals on behalf of the client.

Below is the output from ldapsearch -C
# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

# numResponses: 3
# numEntries: 2

Philip

                     SECURITIES AND FUTURES COMMISSION

  To:      Philip L K CHAN/IR/SFC@SFC    IT                Ext : 405

  cc:      openldap-software@openldap.
           org

  From     Pierangelo Masarati
  :        <masarati@aero.polimi.it>

  Date     25/03/2001 02:26:38 AM
  :

Our Ref:

Subject:  Re: following referrals by proxy produced error

> I use openldap 2.0.7 on OpenLinux 2.3 as ldap proxy.
>
> I submit a search query with base specified as "dc=top,dc=com"
> to the proxy which in turn query the real directory "dc=top,dc=com".
> However, the real directory "dc=top,dc=com" contains a referral to
> "dc=next,dc=top,dc=com", the proxy follows it and seach the referred
> directory. However, the proxy still submits the search query with base
> "dc=top,dc=com" to the sub-directory "dc=next,dc=top,dc=com" and
> get result 32: No such object.
>
> Then the proxy returns some data entries obtained from the
> top driectory plus the Result 32 and my LDAP client (Outlook)
> just reports no entries match my search criteria.
>
> I tried to submit a search without base to the proxy which has
> the defaultsearchbase "dc=top,dc=com", the same happens.
>
> If I remove the defaultsearchbase from the proxy and submit
> a query without searchbase, the proxy immediately responses
> with result 32.
>
> How this dilemma can be solved? Can I ask the proxy not to
> follow referrals or ask the proxy to change the searchbase
> when following referrals?

Looks like you're using a 1.2.X client against a 2.0.X server ...
Check whether the ldapsearch accepts -C (automatically follow referrals
...)

Pierangelo.