Fw: restricting access to machines on network

    I hope this isn't a silly question but I have read lots of docs and they all seem to be at the 101 level....

    I need to know what I have to do to be able to differentiate which users in the ldap database (the entire university) can log onto which machines.  All I have read thus far regards allowing single logons to all machines on a network - this is well and good, but I only want certain users to be able to access certain machines, and all users to be able to access others.  I feel that there is something akin to NIS netgroups that will serve this purpose.  However, from what I have read, it seems that the PAMs for LDAP just do a bind and supply the username and password.  It seems as though they also need to provide a (net)group as well, so user foo in group student will not gain access to the admin database machine simply by virtue of being in the LDAP database, but user oracle in group dbadmin can.....
    It seems as though I am missing something really basic here.  Can someone point me in the right direction please.  I also need to do the same kind of user level access retrictions on NT 4 & 5 machines.  I assume that this can also be achieved by a similar group type method.
    The OS/s that require user authentcation via ldap are Tru64, linux, solaris and NT4/5.  LDAP server is openldap.  I will hit the RFCs tomorrow...

Any help will be grately appreciated.

Dave.