searching exchange 5.5 with openldap 1.2.11_1

Hi,
   I'm trying to query an exchange 5.5 server using ldapsearch from openldap
and whenever I try binding with a username i get an "invalid credentials" error.
Annonymous searches work fine but the reason I need to bind as a user is
is so users will be able to modify their own information via a web page.

Here is the command line I use when binding as a user:

root@thunder:/usr/local/bin# ./ldapsearch -v -h exchange -b "o=sabatini" -D "cn=merc,cn=Recipients,ou=San Mateo,o=sabatini" -w "password" "uid=merc"

anyone else run into this problem with exchange?

merc