Re: UW-IMAP auth via PAM & LDAP

Mike Coughlan wrote:

> Found my answer here  http://www.padl.com/tools.html  thanks Miguel.
>
> One last question.  What makes the Linux user accounts still necessary in
> our setup?

That depends on your objectives.
Here, we want to give email accounts (IMAP) to people, but dont let them login
remotely to the machine( say telnet, ssh, etc) just IMAP. It makes our job
easier.

> It would be nice to run purely off of LDAP.

The local Unix accounts are more secure that the LDAP ones. Of course, this
depends on the methods of encryption you use for the password field on each
entry, and how your LDAP server is configured.

> \We are using sendmail, UW-IMAP, and procmail.  Pity we didn't choose Cyrus,
>
> we can't swap that out. We could change MTAs, however.

I have never worked with Cyrus. Does Cyrus has a direct ( without PAM)
interface do an LDAP server?

When you have finished the setup of your server, with all things working,
please let me know.

Regards
Miguel Carvalho